About 1 in 20 women in America end up popping the question to their men. While this is not an increasing trend yet, you’ll be surprised to learn that 3 out of 4 Americans say they’re ok with women proposing. And here’s why we think women proposing and men’s engagement rings are not such a bad idea either.
1) European Leap Year traditions – In Finland and Ireland, women were advised to propose only on leap year day for good luck. In Scotland, Queen Margaret decreed that women could pop the question to their men on Feb 29, if they wore a red petticoat! Living as we are in liberated, modern times, we think, women should not be waiting until the leap day that comes once in four years, to be allowed to propose.
2) Egalitarian marriages – Folks are marrying later and brides could be equally well paid as men. Now that we are living in an era where women enjoy equal pay and equal say. So, why wouldn’t it be ok to let women take charge in this important rite of passage, especially if the man is too reserved and unsure of making the first move?
3) Outside of U.S.A. and Canada, men do wear engagement rings in many cultures around the world. Man-gagement rings are common in many European countries, including Argentina, Brazil, India, and Islamic countries.
4) Many celebrity men wear engagement rings – Irrespective of who proposed to whom in their relationships, many celebrity men have flaunted their engagement bling like Ryan Reynolds, Michael Buble’, Johnny Depp, & David Otunga.
5) Many celebrity women have popped the question – Kristen Bell famously proposed to her beau Dax Shepard over twitter. In many other couples like, Jennifer Hudsun & David Otunga, Halle Berry & David Justice, Britney Spears & Kevin Federline, Zsa Zsa Gabor & her 9 husbands, Queen Victoria & Prince Albert, Elizabeth Taylor & Michael Wilding have had women popping the question to their men in less public ways.
So women, who are reading this piece and have found the One…if you like him, go ahead and put a ring on him!